NEPAL: Church Leader’s House Burned
Karuna, a church leader who lives among Brahmin (Hindu upper caste), lost his home and belongings in early January 2014 when villagers burned his house because of his evangelistic work.
While his primary job is to visit and encourage believers in the area, he also has led many Hindus to Christ, angering those in the village. On several occasions, villagers have threatened to kill Karuna, his wife and their two children if he continued to evangelise.
The villagers burned Karuna’s home while he and his family were away fellowshipping with other Christians and repeated their threat to kill him if he continues preaching the Gospel. VOM is supporting the family during this time.
Source: Voice of the Martyrs USA
- Pray that Karuna and his family will be encouraged in their faith and continue to be strong witnesses for Christ.
- Pray the Lord’s protection will be upon Karuna and his family.
- Pray for the perpetrators and those making threats, may the Lord frustrate their plans and change their hearts.
KAZAKHSTAN: Update – Criminal Trial Begins for 67-Year-Old Pastor
The criminal case launched against retired Presbyterian pastor Bakhytzhan Kashkumbayev in July 2011 finally reached a court in Kazakhstan’s capital Astana on 22 January.
The 67-year-old pastor has become deaf in one ear and suffered heart problems during eight months in prison and at a psychiatric hospital. He rejects the charges of inciting hatred, harming health, propagating extremism and leading an organisation that harms others. The most serious charge carries a maximum ten-year prison term. The trial will resume after 31 January.
Source: Forum 18 News Service
- Pray the Lord’s favour will be upon Pastor Kashkumbayev and his legal team, may the truth of the case be brought to light and may he be released.
- Pray the Lord will completely heal and fully restore Pastor Kashkumbayev, ask God to strengthen his faith.
- Ask God, to use this case for the benefit of the church in Kazakhstan.\
IRAN: Update – American Pastor Saeed Abedini Moved to Safer Ward in Prison
Saeed Abedini, an American citizen imprisoned in Iran for practising his Christian faith, has been moved from a murderers’ ward to one reserved for political prisoners; a slight improvement his supporters say is the first positive sign in his long and desperate legal battle.
Abedni, 33, a Christian pastor who lives in Idaho, USA with his wife and two sons, has been held in the Rajai Shahr Prison in Karaj, Iran, which is known to house the country’s most violent criminals. He has served one year of his eight-year prison sentence.
“Make no mistake, Pastor Saeed is still in the deadliest prison in Iran facing deteriorating medical conditions,” the American Center for Law and Justice said in an online posting. The report pointed out that he has received better meals and the move also marks the first time in weeks that his family was able to visit him. However, it appears some of the recreational facility in the political ward have been closed since Abedni’s arrival, the report said.
Abedni’s family told the ACLJ that his health is deteriorating, he suffers serious abdominal pain and an Iranian doctor said he requires surgery. He reportedly suffered internal injuries from previous beatings while in captivity.
Source: Fox News
- Pray the Lord will provide physical healing for Pastor Saeed, whether it is through His miraculous hand or through the necessary medical treatment.
- Ask the Lord to strengthen and sustain Pastor Saeed and his family, while he is in prison.
- Pray the Lord will use the international attention of this case to secure Pastor Saeed’s release.